November 13, 2011 – Dubrovnik Churches
Ana and Ivan picked us up at the ship and we drove the car back to the place where they were staying, parked the car and walked down the hill to the walled city.
We stopped at a small restaurant outside the walls to have some breakfast, and then began our walking tour through the old city.
This post will list several of the churches in Dubrovnik with a couple of notes about each.
St. Saviour Church is a small votive church located in the old town of Dubrovnik. It is dedicated to Jesus Christ. The church was built by the order of the local Senate in gratitude that the town had been spared from destruction in the earthquake that hit Dubrovnik in that time.
The Church of San Blas is an eighteenth century baroque church in Luza Square, dedicated to the patron saint and protector of the city. The church of San Blas was originally in Romanesque style in the fourteenth century, but was badly damaged by the earthquake of 1667, and finally destroyed by fire in 1706. The church was rebuilt in its current Baroque style between 1706 and 1714.
The Cathedral, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, was built in the early eighteenth century in Baroque style. On that ground previously stood a Roman place of worship that the earthquake of 1667 destroyed it completely. (1671-1713).
Church of St. Ignatius (Jesuit Church) – built from 1658 to 1725. The Jesuit order was banned in 1773 by order of Napoleon’s troops and was used as a hospital until the bishop of Ragusa established the seminary and high school in 1941.
The Franciscan Friary was founded in 1317 and rebuilt after the 1667 earthquake. It contains some fine examples of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE – THEN SCROLL WITH RIGHT and LEFT ARROWS