Guided Tour of Venice

November 11, 2011

We took a water taxi to the Rio de la Frescada canal

We passed the Ponte degli Scalzi (or Ponte dei Scalzi), literally, “bridge of the barefoot “, is one of only four bridges in Venice to span the Grand Canal. The bridge connects the sestieri of Santa Croce and Cannaregio. On the north side, Cannaregio, are the Chiesa degli Scalzi (Church of the Barefoot or Discalced Monks) and the Santa Lucia (Ferrovia) railway station.

We met our guide and our first stop was at Scuola Grande De San Rocco.  From this plaza, we have the Church of Saint Roch on one side and the back of the Chiesa Dei Frari (Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari) behind us.  Next post will have images of the inside of the Frari.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Church of Saint Roch (Italian: Chiesa di San Rocco) is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Roch in Venice, northern Italy. It was built between 1489 and 1508 by Bartolomeo Bon the Younger, but was substantially altered in 1725. The façade dates from 1765 to 1771.  The church is one of the Plague-churches built in Venice.  The guide told us that rich Venetians donated large sums of money to build this church to Saint Roch, in return for protection from the plague.

One Comment

Comments are closed.