November 13, 2011
The city has many sites and historical structures, as well as the opportunity to walk the wall. We did not go up on the wall, but spent our time strolling through the streets and visiting the town just outside the gates.
We had coffee at a small cafe in the Piazza delle Erbe and Gondola (the center of which stands the statue of the great poet John Mark Gondola Dubrovnik, founded in 1893 by his descendant, the mayor Francesco Barone-Ghetaldi Gondola). From the square you reach the staircase of the Jesuits, in a splendid baroque.
The main feature of the town is the long Stradun or main street. The limestone-paved pedestrian street runs some 300 metres through the Old Town, the historic part of the city surrounded by the Walls of Dubrovnik. The stradun connects the western entrance called the “Pile Gate” to the “Ploče Gate” on the eastern end. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (the so-called Large Onofrio’s Fountain in the western section and the Small Onofrio’s Fountain on the east end) and bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east)
The Pila Gates are a well-fortified complex with multiple doors, defended by Fort Bokar and the moat that ran around the outside section of the city walls. At the entrance gate to the Old Town, on the western side of the land walls, there is a stone bridge between two Gothic arches, which were designed by the esteemed architect Paskoje Miličević in 1471.
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE – THEN SCROLL WITH RIGHT and LEFT ARROWS