Key sites downtown Honolulu
Iolani Palace, in the capital district of downtown Honolulu in the U.S. state of Hawaiʻi, is the only royal palace in the United States used as an official residence by a reigning monarch and is a National Historic Landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Two monarchs governed from ʻIolani Palace: King Kalākaua and Queen Liliʻuokalani. After the monarchy was overthrown in 1893, the building was used as the capitol building for the Provisional Government, Republic, Territory, and State of Hawaii until 1969. The palace was restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1978.
Iolani Barracks, or Halekoa (house [of] warriors) in Hawaiian, was built in 1870, designed by the architect Theodore Heuck, under the direction of King Lot Kapuaiwa. Located directly adjacent to ʻIolani Palace in downtown Honolulu, it housed about 80 members of the monarch’s Royal Guard until the overthrow of the Monarchy in 1893. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as part of the Hawaii Capital Historic District.
King Kalakaua and queen Kapiolani were crowned at a coronation ceremony on February 12, 1883 in this structure on the grounds of the Iolani Palace. Today the Iolani Palace Coronation Pavilion is sometimes called the Iolani Palace Bandstand because of the free Royal Hawaiian Band concerts which take place at noon on most Fridays
Aliʻiōlani Hale is a building located in downtown Honolulu, Hawaii, currently used as the home of the Hawaiʻi State Supreme Court. It is the former seat of government of the Kingdom of Hawaii and the Republic of Hawaii. Located in the building’s courtyard is the famed gold-leaf statue of Kamehameha the Great.