Liberador Cusco – Plaza and Cathedral

Sunday, March 27, 2011 – Liberador Cusco, the Plaza and Cathedral

Today we will spend time seeing the sites around Cusco.  While we flew into Cusco a few days ago, we headed into the Sacred Valley and did not spend time in the town of Cusco.  But now we are back to see the sites around Cusco.  While here, we stayed at the Liberador Cusco.  http://www.libertador.com.pe/en/2/1/2/cusco-hotel

Today, we visited the large plaza in front of the Cathedral, and took a tour inside the Cathedral as well. 

The Cathedral of Santo Domingo, also known as Cusco Cathedral, is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cusco. The cathedral is located on the main square of Cusco, Peru, called the Plaza de Armas.[1]. Building was completed in 1654[2], almost a hundred years after construction began. It was built on the foundations and incorporated the remains of Corichancha, an Incan temple torn down by Spanish colonists. Both sections are visible at the back of the cathedral.
Adjacent and joined to the cathedral is the smaller Iglesia del Triunfo[3], the first Christian church to be built in Cusco. The Iglesia de la Compania de Jesus,[1] also on the Plaza de Armas, was built at a similar time as Santo Domingo.

The gallery below has a few images of the hotel, the plaza and the Cathedral of Cusco.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.