November 15, 2011
After a few hours in Mdina, it was time to head to our special event – the Palazzo Parisio palace and gardens. This is actually a family estate where we will take a tour of the home and gardens and then have a nice meal in their main hall leading out to the gardens.
On the way to Naxxar we drove through Mosta.
Mosta is a town situated in the middle of the island of Malta, to the north-west of Valletta. It had a population of 19,018 people in 2010. The main attraction in Mosta is the Rotunda – a huge round church with the third largest unsupported dome in the world. The church is also known as the Rotunda of St Marija Assunta.
When we got to Naxxar, there was a beautiful church across the steet from the entrance of Palazzo Parisio the Naxxar Parish Church. The Naxxar Church was made a Parish by Bishop De Mello in 1436 and the villages of Mosta and Gharghur were subject to it. In fact Bishop De Mello had listed it as one of the ten parishes of Malta and it was the first parish dedicated to Our Lady after that of the old Cathedral. The choir and the area around it was redesigned in 1691 on the design of Lorenzo Gafa’, the same architect who had designed Mdina Cathedral.
As we were leaving the luncheon, as heavy storm started to roll in from the horizon. It’s easy to see which images were taken before lunch versus after we left the palace.
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE – THEN SCROLL WITH RIGHT and LEFT ARROWS